1 September 2010

Cruising ...


The above is probably the most famous opening riff of all time. Every aspiring guitar hero begins by learning this and playing it from time to time.
Recognise it ? Smoke on the water on their Machine Head album in 1972 from Deep Purple.

So what has this to do with running ? Well as I ran along the Seine this morning there was a thin layer of mist lying over the river giving the scene an eery aspect. At the same time, I was thinking of my brother's reference to his purple patch and I felt so good this morning that I consider myself to be in a Deep Purple patch.

It was supposed to be a medium-length, 1 hour, recovery run this morning. I set out along the usual route thinking of all the little extra add-ons that I could do to make this run as long as possible. The first kilometre felt good, although very easy and as I hit the tarmac down by the river I sped up a little. I thought that I was running at 4:30 pace but the breathing was very easy and it all felt as though little effort was necessary. By the time I got to the park and past 6k, I sped up as I still felt good. I added on a loop in the park towards Maisons Laffitte castle and ran this at 4:20 pace before heading over the railway line and into the forest. Even the uphill section didn't slow me down today and as I ran back through Le Mesnil I was at 4:10 pace.

Down the hill to the townhall in 3:55 pace and a final stretch back home to finish the run.

14.3k all up in 1:03 or an average of 4:25 pace around the circuit. If only every day could feel like this.

1 comment:

Gérald said...

By looking at your speed of training (even more that of Nicolas), I push. I never exceed 12 kph on this type of training. But only the speed the day of the race counts... Deep Purple Smoke one the water + 20 James!!!