20 September 2008

Triumphant triathlon

It was the September version of the St Germain Triathlon today. Classed as a sprint, it involves a 500m swim, 20 km of mountain biking and a 5km run to finish. The usual competition were all present as both Nick and Andy were taking part and the bets were on as to who would win. Andy and Nick had declared me favourite prior to starting but I had some serious doubts as to whether I would be close enough after the cycling to be able to challenge them on the run.

We got off to a good start with some serious fighting in our lane on the swim. We were 14 to a lane and at times I felt I was swimming over bodies rather than in the water. After the first length, the positions were settled and it was easier from then on. I managed to catch Nick on the 6th length and we got out of the pool together. Andy was well ahead already and on the bike while we were still rushing out of the changing rooms. Nick is obviously more adept at dressing than me and had grabbed a 50 m lead when I jumped on the bike.

The cycling is probably one of the most critical parts of a triathlon and I knew that I had to make a real effort if I was to stay in contention. I was really pleased then to see that I'd caught Nick up at the end of the second lap out of 4. I even felt so good that I passed him but at the next hill, he glided past again and I had nothing left to follow him. I was sure that I'd blown it then but by the end of the 3rd lap, I was on his tail again and determined not to let him go again. He pulled away again but we pulled into the bike park together and as we did, I saw Andy leaving for his run.

A this point, I pulled out my secret weapon - no don't get too excited, nothing in the budgey smugglers, but F-X waiting to run the final leg with us. F-X set the pace and we started running with Nick and I following at around 14 km/h. Nick dropped off after about 400 m and we slowly pulled away. Another 1 km down the path and we spotted Andy just ahead and so put on a little spurt just to discourage him from latching on to us ! It was steady from then on in. I felt comfortable running but too fatigued to up the pace beyond the 14 km/h we had started at.

Another little burst to the finish line and all up in 1h17:20 - a new record for me by almost 5 minutes. Thrilled to bits. Andy held off Nick by 5 seconds to finish a minute and 15 seconds after me.

Thanks to F-X for his pacing - great job. I finished 5 th overall officially out of 192 entered and 165 finishers. Unofficially, the 16 year old who won the event only did 3 loops on the bike missing one - what a cheat. I know, because Nick and I passed him on the 3rd lap on our bikes !!

Laurence did fantastically too to finish 3rd woman overall, beating Louise by a handful of seconds. We were both pleased with our performances, Laurence improving her time by 4 minutes over last year to finish in 1h31:20.

Well done to Andy and Nick too as our times enabled us to be the first team in the event. Congratulations to all our friends who took part this morning. Looking forward to reliving the event tonight at Sophie and Pierre-Henry's over a few glasses of wine.

3 comments:

Nick Wiechers said...

We made it onto the FSGL site as well!

http://www.fouleesdesaintgermainenlaye.com/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=204

Andy said...

Great to have had such a large and skilled team and to earn 1st place! Additionally I think almost everyone scored a Personal Best in terms of time. To get 4 podiums (Team, VFA, SEN, VHA) is exceptional!

Can it be repeated in December?

df said...

Impressed to work now with someone who is on the podiums.

As wine, runners seem to improve with time (veteran now James)

A new experience for me too as a "lièvre"

Congratulations,