25 September 2008

Laufen in Deutschland

On business here in Frankfurt for a couple of days which is also preventing me from running with the club and the interval sessions which I really look forward too. As a form of consolation, I left the hotel here this morning and ran my planned route around the town.

I was worried that it would be dark at 6:45, like in Le Mesnil at this time so I had planned a route through the town rather than heading into the countryside. However, it is so much farther East than Le Mesnil that it was actually already daytime when I woke up and slipped on my running kit.

I set off steadily and the only company at that time of day was the airplanes coming into land at Frankfurt airport every 30 seconds a couple of hundred metres above my head - charming.

I managed an 8 km loop in 34:40 or an average of 4:20 per km. The slightly slower pace was due to the fact that despite planning the route on Gmap pedometer, I was always unsure of exactly which direction I should be heading in and whether I was on the correct street. They all Strasse something or other and I was pretty confused. Luckily I didn't get lost and have to use my schoolboy German or that could have been pretty embarassing.

No comments: