27 September 2008

Cruising

Paris-Versailles race tomorrow but decided that I still need more distance training if I'm to do a reasonable time in the marathon at the end of next month. With this in mind I set out to do a couple of loops of the normal Sunday route through the forest.

I set off slowly as I'd had a big breakfast with Laurence before, to celebrate my return from Germany. 1km in 4:38, so no great shakes. By the third kilometre I already had a stitch so I slowed the pace to run through it. This disappeared and I started catching some other runners through the forest. One guy tagged on to me as I passed him so I accelerated slightly to lose him as I had no intention to run accompanied.

I finished the first loop in 49:xx and was amazed by this time. This equates to 44:xx for the normal Sunday run and would already be a PB. Spurred on by this, I maintained the speed and pushed again throughout the second loop. I looked at my time as I went through the half-marathon point - 1:30:58. Excellent, despite the slow start, I was almost at my marathon pace running on a dirt track in the forest. Running on the road can only be better.

All up 22.8 km in 1:37:42 or an average of 14 km/h or 4:17 per km. Not the best preparation for tomorrow's race but pleased nonetheless.

2 comments:

Nick Wiechers said...

Good luck for the Paris Versailles. 20km the day before is perfect preparation.

James said...

Got carried away and will treat tomorrow as training rather than a real race. See you soon!