2 September 2008

Change of direction

"A change is as good as a rest", as the saying goes. Well, I've changed job inside the company and am now looking after the sales and marketing side of the business. I don't seem to be getting much rest at the moment though. So I'm writing this blog late in the evening and have almost forgotten about this morning's run, it seems so long ago now !

As I got up at 6:45am this morning, the first thing I noticed was that it was still dark outside. This is utterly depressing since it means that the Summer is almost over before it even began. Second thing noticeable was that the ground was all wet. Damn, not only dark but raining too.

I slipped my kit on, left the house and started up the Garmin. The rain had just stopped, the first glimpse of daylight had appeared and the temperature was moderate - perfect for a run. I started off down the road and was surprised at just how fast I was going. This sounds ridiculous, I know, but when I start running most mornings, my legs determine themselves what speed to go. This morning felt fast, even more so compared to usual since it was dark too. It was no surprise therefore to see 8:18 on the Garmin as I went through the 2km point.

I seemed to slow a little from there on through the park, but when I glanced at my watch on leaving the park it showed 27:26 which isn't too bad. I ran to the corner of Blvd Pasteur and I was only just outside my PB at this point. I stretched away then but didn't force the pace too much and just enjoyed the end of the run. All up in 46:26 and 11.0 km showing on the Garmin. This, I don't understand as the Garmin previously showed 11.1 km and then 11.04km for exactly the same course. Must be to do with the accuracy of the positioning to 7m from the satellites and the combined errors that this can create. Gmapped at 11.1 km so I'll stick with that. This gives a time of 4:11 per km which I'm pleased with and only 21 seconds off my personal best.

No comments: