21 September 2008

Long slog

As part of my training for the Yvelines marathon next month, I'm trying to increase my mileage and especially the distances of my long runs. So, despite the fatigue from the triathlon yesterday and the partying last night where I drank too much red wine, I decided to attempt to run 30 km this morning.

Laurence and I met up with the usual Sunday run crowd and we ran the standard route through the forest. Nick and I ran fairly easily and I didn't push the pace to a sprint before the barrier as I normally do. We got to the barrier in 22:24 so at an average pace of 4:34 per km. We waited for Louise and Laurence who weren't far behind and then set off again for the second half of the course.

This was more of the same as we finished this in 25:16 or an average pace of 4:35 per km. Consistent or what ? So all up in 47:40 which is pretty good going for a relaxed run around the course.

I then left the others and headed back out to the barrier and then on to the swimming pool at St Germain. Past the swimming pool and in front of the castle to rejoin the 6 village route, but in the opposite direction to last time. I was beginning to tire running through St Germain but as soon as I began the downhill to Le Pecq, I started to feel a whole lot better. I was passing other runners constantly and this was a great boost for the morale.

As I passed the 20 km mark, I could feel my energy dissipating though. My stomach was telling me it needed food and my brain was telling me that it was still a long way to get home. I maintained a good pace along the Seine but as I approached Sartrouville, I couldn't help but slow.

I was mighty relieved to see the bridge at Sartrouville, knowing that there was only 2.5 km to get home. I'd slowed to just over 12 kmh for the final path home back along the Seine from Maisons Laffitte according to the garmin. As I ran this, it felt a good deal slower and I've never been so relieved to get home. I was shaking all over and had to eat 3 figs and 5 kumquats to recover. Average speed on my own for the 18.4 kms amounted to 4:33 per km. Pleased considering the mess I was in when I arrived home.

All in all I ran 29.8 km in 2h16. I'll need to pick up the pace considerably to finish the marathon in under 3 hours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"and had to eat 3 figs and 5 kumquats to recover"

Is this my brother speaking? That's got to be one of the most metrosexual things I've ever read. You're an embarassment to the family!

Nick Wiechers said...

I'm afraid I have to agree. If you had said croque monsieur and pastis rather than a bottle of dog and pie and chips you could have ben forgiven what with living in France so long.