10 September 2008

Easy run

I thought I'd take it easy today, having run a hard interval session last night. My body hadn't really had time to recover when I woke up at 6:45 and pulled on my running kit. My brain certainly wasn't ready to go mentally when I stood outside the house in the dark, waiting for the Garmin to pick up the satellite reception.

I headed off at a reasonable pace and felt very comfortable. I hit the 2 km mark in 8:43 and was quite pleased with myself for my self-restraint and not trying to push the pace any harder. I ran through Maisons Laffitte park at first light and had to dodge all the horses that were being taken for their early morning walk. Horses, in my opinion, are far more dangerous than cars on the road as they tend to be more unpredictable and need to be given a far wider berth.

Having successfully survived the horse ordeal, I left the park at 28:12 for 6.5 km. This was a nice surprise as I had expected to be even slower. A quick jog through town and soon I was running back along Blvd Pasteur, thinking about the home stretch and my breakfast. A car pulled along side me at this point and a cheery "Bonjour James" was aimed in my direction. I attempted a cheery hello back, but with snot hanging from my nose, and completely out of breath at this point, the end result was a miserable gasp and a wave of the hand. Sorry Catherine !

I finished steadily, with the remainder of my dignity, and managed a time of 47:17 for the 11.1 km. Not bad for an easy run.

No comments: