13 October 2011

12 x 200m

Funny workout in the marathon training plan for this morning: 12 x 200m. Early on in the plan, we do 2 blocks of 12x200 but today was just one block with the 200m to be run in under 42 seconds off a recovery of 200m ! I have to admit that this is probably one of the easiest interval sessions in the plan and I was quite looking forward to it.

After the last few days, the run began well and I felt a lot better in my legs. I had the chance to do a relatively long warm-up of 2.5k and then began the session. The reps went as follows:

38, 42, 38, 39, 38, 36, 38, 37, 37, 36, 36, 36

I felt really good towards the end as I had really warmed up and the leg muscles were moving better. I was giving it my best shot on each of the intervals, rather than keeping a little in reserve as I normally do. I compared this session to the same one last year when my average interval was run at 40-41 seconds (albeit off 100m recovery when I used a 150m recovery today)

McMillan shows that my sprint workout for 200m should be run between 34 and 37 seconds so this was pretty good going. I think that the second interval was a problem with the Garmin rather than a slower run.

10.4km all up in 51:00 or an average pace of 4:54/km. The average pace was slow since I forgot to stop the Garmin when I was caught short and had to slip into the bushes for a Paula - but this is perhaps too much detail...

No comments: