17 October 2011

Post race recovery run

Just took it easy on this run, savouring the pleasure of having beaten my record and letting this thought sink in slowly. It's been a while since I beat a record, almost 1 year in fact when I beat my marathon PB in Toulouse. There is this feeling of satisfaction, of a job well done and also that there is still scope for improvement.

This was what I was feeling this morning as I jogged around quietly. I was savouring my victory over myself and wondering how to ease out another few seconds to get closer to 36:00 the next time out. There was the end of the race that I could have managed better. I was too focused on my watch and my advance on my virtual partner and not concentrated enough on beating the runners around me. I was cursing myself for not having made a better attempt at losing Fred after I caught him and slowing on the 9th kilometre when the path rose ever so slightly through the forest, causing just enough pain for me to ease off the pace. It's ease to over-analyse after the event and to under-estimate the effort that went in during the race itself. We forget so quickly about the pain of racing with the joy of achieving...


I jogged and enjoyed my run, feeling very easy and comfortable. There were no aches and pains and the cool down after the race with Gérald and Nico must have helped in this way. Usual route through the park, after the start down by the Seine. No point changing a winning strategy.

12.8km all up in 58:58 or 4:36 per km. Felt great and relaxed and was even happy about going to work afterwards.

No comments: