23 October 2011

Accompanying the girls

I promised Laurence that if she rode the bike to accompany Nico and I yesterday that I would run with her this morning for her marathon training of 1h50 at endurance pace. Endurance pace for Laurence is around 6m00 per km and the plan was to start at this pace before building up to 5m40 pace for the last half of the run. Nico agreed to run with us too, early enough in order to get back to watch the France - New Zealand final in the rugby world cup. After some last minute negotiations, Laurence also managed to persuade Katia to run with us, despite the 7:40 am start.

We set off at an easy 6m20 pace before settling down very quickly to a much higher pace at 5m20 per kilometre. Laurence seemed happy enough so I didn't complain, happy to be out running easily after yesterday's tiring session. This pace is Laurence's marathon pace so I was pleased for her too as she seemed very relaxed at comfortable at this speed which bodes well for Florence. Nico and I joked with the girls and I was really pleased when Katia thought that Nico was born in 1971 which would make him a veteran this year. Nico must have been really tired after yesterday's run to look as though he'd aged 6 years overnight. I don't think he'll be speaking to Katia for quite some time...

When we started to run along the forest tracks towards Cora, the pace hotted up again and we managed to cover a kilometre in 4:53 before calming down and attacking the uphill stretch back to Pavillon de la Muette. By the time we ran down in fornt of the townhall and back to the house, we'd covered 20km in total in 1:47 so an average of 5:23 per kilometre, basically Laurence's marathon pace over the whole distance. This takes my total mileage for the week to 115 km which is the furthest I've ever managed to run in a week before. Pretty chuffed and it gives me a solid base for the last few weeks before the marathon.

After a quick shower, we watched France play one of their best games in the final at Nico's house with a cracking breakfast and mugs of tea and coffee. We probably managed to take on board most of the 1500 calories we burnt during the run. Shame that France lost although it means that I've recovered my debt of 2 bottles of champagne to my boss.

I managed to find a photo of Nico practising his own version of the haka prior to the match. Enjoy !


No comments: