27 January 2012

Recovery run (al tempo)

I set out with the firm intention of doing a recovery run, despite my lack of interval training this week. It has been too tiring this week to envisage anything more serious and although I was just about over my cold, I couldn't face a tough session in the early hours of the morning.

As soon as I set out though I felt good in my body. The couple of days rest had done me the world of good and I set off at a comfortable pace, completing the first kilometre in 4:29. I then decided that as I hadn't done any interval work that I should at least push the pace a little and try and do a tempo run. 2nd kilometre in 4:19 and then 3 and 4 in 4:11 and 3:59 respectively. I eased off instinctively at this point and ran the next few kilometres at 4:10 pace before accelerating to 4:00 pace again for kilometres 9 - 12 and then 3:35 pace to finish.

12.8 km all up in 52:22 which is one of my fastest times for this course. An average speed of 4:07 over the distance.

No comments: