23 January 2012

Monday recovery

I found it hard to go to bed early last night. I had a buzz following the race and it was though I'd drunk about 5 coffees on the trot. I was therefore quite looking forward to a recovery run this morning to get this out of my system and get back to normal. I figured it would be one of those runs where you're still hyper following the race and set off at 15 km/h pace.

This of course was completely wrong and when I set off down the road I realised immediately that anything faster than 5' kilometres had to be considered a bonus. My legs were heavy from the race and I didn't set myself any objectives as I ran around just to put in a few kilometres and to not hurt myself in the process. In the end, it all went better than I felt to start with. My legs gradually recovered and were able to stretch out a little although I didn't push it unduly. I ran the first couple of kilometres in 4:45 pace and then I resumed normal transmission and reached 4:30 pace from then on.

I spotted a runner in the park which urged me on, fuelling my desire to breeze past at 15km/h trying to look easy and graceful at the same time. It was that dark, he probably never noticed. Anyway, it caused me to increase my pace and I remained at 4:20 pace for the rest of the run.

12.8km all up in 56:30 or an average pace of 4:23/ km. Rest of the week's training is going to be difficult to plan so I'll probably be doing more reps by myself.

No comments: