26 January 2012

Bar-le-Duc

I'd been suffering from a cold after my Monday run and with work constraints, I just didn't have the time or the energy to get out for a run on Tuesday and Wednesday. In Bar-le-Duc, in the east of France on business, I decided to get up early and to go for a run.

By early, this was early, as at 5:40am I was outside in my running kit heading along the banks of La Meuse for my early morning run. I set off the Garmin and just ran at what felt a reasonably rapid pace. I was slow to begin with as I was waking up and getting my body used to the cold temperature, but after a couple of kilometres I had gotten into a good rhythm and was full of energy having had a couple of days off.

I aimed to run for about an hour and figured that I would do about 13km, like on my usual runs around Maisons Laffitte. At about 11km, I circled in both directions alongside the river around the town centre and I headed up the hill to the old part of town. My pace immediately dropped from just over 4:00 per kilometre to 4:51 for the next 2 kilometres as I climbed out past the old part of town and then I looped back down another road back to the hotel.

14km all up in 1:00 exactly. I'll let you calculate the average speed but average pace was 4:20/km.

No comments: