10 January 2012

5x400m + 2x1600m

Arrived late to the club session and so had to change into my running kit in record speed before heading out for the warm-up with Robin who arrived after me. We chased after the others as I'd seen them leaving just as I got out of the car. I noticed in particular that it was my own wife who was leading the whole group, which was a huge turnout aswell, at breakneck speed. Was this a subtle message for me?

Caught up the others towards St Germain and so missed a chunk of the warm-up before heading back to the track. Nico and Basile were ahead, closely followed by Laurence and François. I jogged with Laurence and François talking about our planned trail races for this year which will include the Paris Ecotrail (80km) and the CCC around Mont Blanc (98km). Once back to the track I chatted with Gérald, Fred, Thierry and José before a few straights and lining up for the first of the 400m to be run at VO max speed.

I started in the middle of the pack and quickly headed towards the front of the group already suprised by the pace and effort it was taking. I'd discussed with Nico what speeds we should be running these and I suggested 80 seconds whereas he proposed a couple of seconds faster. We finished the first interval and I looked at the Garmin - 1:13. No wonder it felt hard. Nico, Fred and I were the only ones to respect the 100m recovery jog and we set off in the lead after this. The next couple of intervals were even faster and I stayed with Nico with Fred just behind running 1:12 for these. We eased on the fourth running 1:15 and the final in 1:17 in preparation for the 1600m to follow.

I set the pace for the first couple of laps for the first long interval and when Nico came past after 800m I couldn't respond. The effort from the 400m intervals had tired me and my legs felt too heavy to react. Laurence told me afterwards that I had my 'effort' face on: pale, determined, red around the eyes and spit around the mouth - charming! He built a 40m lead and finished 7 seconds ahead while I finished in 5'42 (3:33 / km). The second interval went the same way when I led for the first lap before being caught by Anis and Ilyes who past me taking Nico with them. I was more constant on this second interval while running by myself and finished in 5'35 (3:29 / km).

A tough session but I was happy with the result. According to McMillan and based on my marathon time, I should be running 400m in a speed session between 1:16 - 1:20 and 1600m between 5:33 and 5:46. Based on this, my first intervals were fast and the second spot on. There's definitely room for improvement and I should beat my 10km and half-marathon times this year. We'll just wait and see. I'll post a 2011 review and 2012 objectives soon.

12.5km all up in 1:10.

No comments: