29 January 2012

West Paris basin cross-country championships

I've stated this several times, but I'll repeat myself again: I don't like cross-country. I wasn't looking forward to this race, despite the fact that I was better rested than last time and had enjoyed more focused training and race practise compared to the last race. Nico was enthusiastic and considered that he was in good shape for the race. He was racing after me and I was looking forward to comparing our times. He had informed me that Thierry fancied his chances and was looking to try and stay with me from the gun. I might not like cross-country, but neither does Thierry and despite a recent improvement, I couldn't see him bothering me today.

We watched the girl's race to start, where they all ran a decent race. Luckily it hasn't rained recently and the Montesson course was relatively dry with only a couple of patches where the mud would pose a problem. I put my spikes on and after a quick warm-up with Eric, I lned up with the 250 others who'd made it through the first round and waited for the gun to go.

I knew from the start that eating a large breakfast at 11:00 am was a mistake. It was weighing on my stomach and for a while the thought of sticking a couple of fingers down my throat was an option. I got over this and tried to focus on the race. My main objectives were to finish ahead of Thierry and José, like last time, and to beat Mr Mustache from Houilles. After a fast start and a few falls at the first corner, not to mention the spikes grazing my legs, I managed to catch up the gold and black vest from Houilles and overtake in the first downhill section.

The rest of the race was spent trying to find a rhythm and maintain my position in the field. I knew that I was somewhere between 80 and 90th and I could see Olivier and Bruno ahead without ever managing to get them close enought ot be able to worry them. Mr Mustache remained behind and with a few discrete glances around the numerous corners on the windy, bendy loop, I was able to see that he was a good 10 places behind and not threatening to come back to me.

I suffered in the final lap and lost a handful of places. I'd given just about everthing I had and was not motivated to push any harder. In a 10km road race, there's always the watch to tell you how well you've run, in cross-country, you just can't tell.

I finished the race in 90th place in 36:56 for the 9.5km so an average pace of 3:53. I was fairly pleased with the result considering the hills, the conditions and the mud.

I watched the seniors run afterwards and Nico pulled off an excellent run where he challenged Jean-Marc for the first loop before falling back on the second and third. He finished in 35:11 so 90 seconds faster than me over the same distance. I'll be hard pushed to beat him over 10km this year.

Some photos of me over the course:




















Just checked the results of the guy who finished just ahead of me and the guy who finished just behind me. Results over 10km last year were 35:49 and 35:42 respectively (Vélizy and Enghien). I can officially declare that it was a good run.

6 comments:

Gérald said...

Good job James !

Jean-Marc said...

Good race James, but in 2 weeks, ask to the guys who finished just ahead and behind you if they like cross-country.
I'm afraid that the answer will be also NO.
But anyway, take part to cross-country competitions is a good way to improve your marks on road races.

Unknown said...

Nice one, will do you the world of good. Don't give up on chasing Nico just yet though.

James said...

@Jean-Marc: Just checked results of runners 2 ahead of me and 2 behind and they had 10k results in 2011 of 35:48 and 35:15 respectively.
This is beginning to be a lot of runners who don't like cross-country!
@Tom: Don't worry about Nico any race over 10km and I'll be ahead of him.
@Gérald: Thanks!

Nicolas said...

James we'll see in Rambouillet if you are in front of me... Tom, it's no use giving your bro false hopes. James is far behind and will stay!
However your race worth a good sub-36' on a 10k race. Just have to do it on the road now.

Jean-Marc said...

Sorry James,

There is only one explanation although you seem don't want to see the truth : you are a flying cross-country man (like on the fourth picture)
Welcome in the family of the true runner, the proud conqueror (the descendants of Kings William and Richard Heart of Lion).
Unless (and I hope so) you prouve the contrary in the next few months by lowering your 10k time to the level of the others guy.