11 January 2011

Wet Wet Wet

I checked the thermometer before leaving the house this morning. Seeing it showed 4°C, I considered that it was warm enough with a couple of layers on and I went outside. There was a light drizzle falling, so I stepped back inside, grabbed a cap and left for a recovery run.

My legs were still tired and the muscles aching with that dull ache that comes after heavy exercise. I decided that the recovery programme was to get the legs turning over to eliminate the toxins and to put in a bit of mileage. Pace was not an issue. So it was the usual route through Maisons Laffitte with an extra loop in the park in order to run about 12km in all.

The first few kilometres were heavy going, but since I wasn't worried about the pace, I just concentrated on exercising the thighs and running efficiently in order for the aches and pains to disappear. I was having such a good time, despite the drizzle that at one point, I suddenly woke up from the daydream to discover that I was going slower than ever and my feet were almost dragging along the ground. So much for the efficient running style ! I kicked myself awake and upped the pace slightly, for my own pride rather than anything else.

The rain began to fall more heavily now and my shorts were clinging to my thighs. My cap had reached its maximum capacity to protect me from the rain and was now dripping constantly down the back of my neck. My upper layers were drenched and prevented my arms from moving freely as the weight of the water restricted the movement of the clothes. I was happy with that feeling of satisfaction you get from doing something extraordinary that nobody else is able (or willing more appropriately) to do. My legs were numb from the rain and the cold and I had to look at them to see how they were and if I still had my shorts on. The shorts had moulded themselves to my legs and were now an integral part of my body. In summary, I was drenched.

I got back and Laurence asked me if I'd enjoyed my shower. A shower ? That was a complete immersion that I'd had. I was that close *closes finger and thumb together* to drowning.

12km in 56 minutes or an average pace of 4:43 per km.

No comments: