21 January 2011

Aches, achilles and angels

Woke up this morning to find that the dull ache in my left achilles tendon had not gotten any better during the night and in fact felt a lot worse. However, I'd committed to running with Laurence (the angel of the title) as she'd not been able to make the club session last night.

The alarm woke us both at 5:50am and off we set around my usual 10km route through the back roads of Maisons Laffitte. It was pitch black and as we ran together I was able to point out all the fascinating sights and sounds that I usually experience on my run: the gates of the water company opening down by the river; the cockerel cock-a-doodle-doing in the appartments; the girl on the bicycle in the park; and the lady with child walking to the busstop. Laurence was suitably fascinated by it all.

We ran steadily at around 5:30 per km, speeding up a little towards the end.

10.3km all up in 56 minutes or 5:27 per km. Achilles is still aching now and I'm going to change my trainers to see if this helps otherwise there's no alternative but rest and recuperation. Nice to run with an angel for a change though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rest and recuperation? Try some eccentric loading.