3 January 2011

Early start

Another year, another early start. But I'm starting the year as I intend to continue, and building up the weekly mileage is essential. I managed 77km last week which is probably just above my average weekly mileage, but a target of around 90km per week would be ideal.

It was just below freezing when I set out and there was a good layer of frost covering the ground. Still as black as night at this time in the morning but no wind and the weekend revellers had all left town.

I ran my standard route down by the river and towards Maisons Laffitte. As I passed in front of the castle and then some small blocks of flats towards the racecourse, I heard a cock crowing coming from the flats. This isn't the first time that this has happened but it made me wonder what sort of person keeps a cockerel. Despite the fact that this bird is the national emblem of France, why on earth do people keep this fowl ? As a pet, or rather to cook the thing should the occasion arise ? What on earth do the neighbours feel about a cock crowing every morning at 6:10 am outside their windows ? Do you need a permit from the townhall for the noise ?

Wondering about all of this took my mind off the running and the slow pace that I was able to manage this morning. The legs were heavy, I was tired and running was hard work after feeling great this weekend. It was only after 8 or 9km that I began to feel slightly better and warmed-up. This used to occur after 5k so I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.

10.3km in 48:26 or 4:42 per km. It's Monday morning so things can only go better from here on.

2 comments:

Nicolas said...

Hi James, you look very motivated carrying on running so early in the morning!!!
About our 2k11 challenge, let me draw water to our mill :
FOA, may be it could be an open challenge to any other interested runners such as Gérald or Jean-Marc, Greg, my brother...?
With a victory you will be granted 3 points, 2 points for a second place, 1 point for a third place. A DNS, DNF or worst ranking, if more than 3 competitors, means 0 pts.
If only both of us take part we would keep the 0/1pts awarding.
Eventually my familly and I will run the Florence Marathon in november.
So the schedule could be :
Foulées de Malakoff (5k)
Semi M Rambouillet (21k)
Course du Printemps (15k)
Aubergenville (10k)
Foulée Royale (10k)
Auray - Vannes (21k) (to be confirmed cause really close to Fin d'Oisienne and coming just before holidays)
Fin Oisienne (10k)
Paris Versailles (16k)
Marseille Cassis or Great South Run (20k or 16k)
Cross Toto Vermet (6k)
Marathon de Florence (42k)
Corrida de Saint-Germain (10k) (replacing Auray - Vannes if necessary).

5 or 6 races between 5 and 10km
5 or 6 races between 15 and 42k
So what u think?

James said...

The list looks good. I need to discuss with Laurence about which races we can make it too. Shame there are no trails on the list, just to add a little variety. The Merrill Oxygen Challenge is on in the Cantal for Ascension (2-5 June 2011) and we were intending to head to the Cantal for that date. This might conflict with Foulée Royale though.