12 January 2011

The last crusade

I amde it to the club session again last night and another full turnout awaited me. Well, when I say awaited me, I was actually a few minutes late and the only person who was waiting was Laurence. She had kept the changing room key for me and I got changed quickly and we warmed-up together until we met the rest of the club on their way back round the warm-up route.

The usual warriers were there: Thierry, Jean-Marc, Gérald, Momo, Jérémie, Romain, José, Bruno, Mireille - so basically all of the fastest runners in the club. But hold on: there was a little area of Gaul that resisted vainly - Nico. When the going gets tough, the tough are nowhere to be seen! Apparently, the speech made by Miguel, the trainer, before the session was to explain that after a lengthy exchange of mails, our "tough" boy Nico had decided that last week's training was too hard for him so he decided to stay at home. Award for big girls blouse of the week is no contest this week. He's even got a special title now: big girls blouse with lace.

Miguel had decided that tonight would be an easy session (too easy for Nico apparently) of 2x12' with 3' recovery around the track. The initial idea had been to run this along the road, but the vast majority preferred the track option, so track it was and 10km pace decided. The crusaders lined up at the start didn't include Momo and Mireille who were doing 400m intervals instead and as prepared to go I wondered who I'd be able to run with.

We set off and I saw that I ran the first lap in 1'26 which is slightly faster than 16km/h but still not sufficient for me to be able to stay with Jean-Marc, Romain, Jérémie, Thierry and José. I let them go as I considered that 12' effort was too long to stick to a pace close to VO max. Miguel and Gérald joined me before Gérald got bored and sprinted off following Momo on one of his 400m intervals. We were steady now at 90" per lap (16 km/h) and I felt almost relaxed. This was 3'45 per km and well above my usual training pace. Miguel dropped out after 2km and I ran the last 3 laps by myself, completing just over 8 laps in the allotted time.

3' recovery and off I set again, this time with Gérald and Thierry who'd been left by the leading group. I ran at the same pace, leading both of the others with Thierry breathing heavily on my tail. Gérald was obviously comfortable and decided to run with us but ran wide around the bends to push his pace slightly. The pace was very steady at 16km/h and it was only with 3 laps to go that Thierry took the lead and increased the pace slightly, meaning that I had to make a little effort to keep up. I counted the laps down now and forced myself to stick with him until the finish. Another 8 laps and a bit and I was done; tired but satisfied. Jean-Marc, Jérémie and José finished 250m ahead in their little group, Romain having dropped out.

Another great session and I feel that I've improved distinctly for a year ago at this time. Too bad that Nico wasn't there, not man enough to take the pain. This bodes well for Malakoff when I can show him that there's life in the old dog yet.

13.5km all up so 25.6km for the day. Not bad going.

2 comments:

Nicolas said...

Looks like writing is only way for u to challenge me since you no longer can on the track. Whatever, I'll give you an answer in Malakoff!
You sould show more respect to me at the time when I am still suffering from a vital part of my anatomy!
Another exemple of English fair-play...

James said...

Kick 'em when they're down. That's what I say !