18 January 2011

Club session 5 x 800m + 500m + 300m

Managed to make it to the club session by the skin of my teeth tonight. Stuck in a jam coming off the motorway and thought that I'd miss it but arrived just in time to hear the team talk as I rushed into the changing rooms.

Miguel and Nico came to see me to tell me that it was recovery run for the guys having participated in the cross-country and that the session was cancelled. Nico then asked if I was still interested and I replied in the affirmative not knowing what the session involved. It was only one that I'd committed that I found out that it was 5 x 800m off 300m recovery followed by 500m then 300m.

Nico and I ran the warm-up together catching up with the others who'd left 5 minutes earlier. We chatted about the weekend and Nico's performance which was very ggod since he finsihed the same course in a time faster than José by 1 second and 8 seconds behind Gérald in the same race. We discussed why he hadn't stayed with Gérald and it's always the same debate: do you take the risk and accept that you can overheat and explode or do you run more prudently and wait the opportunity that might not re-appear. No real answer and it's always easier to analyse after the race, knowing the final results. It sounded like some good races with Mireille finishing second in the women's x-country and first in the vet category and Momo finishing 4th in the race and 3rd in his category.

Back to the track where things were to get serious. Tom was back from injury and ready to give it a blast and José was on for the session too. So 4 of us took off together to start the 5 x 800m. The first went well with Nico in front an Tom following until the final bend when I managed to pull alongside and finish neck and neck with Nico. He was able to accelerate after tis first whereas I was close to my VO2 max and was only able to improve slightly. I didn't have the Garmin on so was only able to judge by Nico's times:

2:45, 2:41; 2:41, 2:42, 2:43 for the 800m.

I was pleased as I managed to stay in front of José for all of them and Nico was at most 3 seconds ahead over the distance.

As for the 500m and the 300m these were harder to judge. Suffice to say that I was well behind everyone on the 500m and then stayed in front of José for the 300m.

Great session in that it was tough and demanding but satisfying as I was consistent and in touch with Nico and José. I feel that I'm improving and am happy with my recoveries which are quicker and quicker.

13k all up in 1:10.

1 comment:

Gérald said...

There is no debate. Nicolas has to run in front of me as to the trainning.
the difference reality between us is of 20 seconds. In the last tour i was not 100%.