29 October 2008

Warm down

Despite my horrendous injury, I summoned up all my courage and went to the club's Tuesday session last night just for a quick jog around with the other runners.

I arrived late and Miguel had just been telling the group about my marathon time on Sunday, so I was welcomed with a round of applause. (I finished in 39th place and 14th vet) My head swelling with pride, I rushed off to the dressing room to get changed into my running kit. In the hurry, I forgot to pick up my Garmin so I wasn't able to record the distance, but since it was only a jog anyway, what the heck !

As we set off, Franck, who I'd been with at the start of Sunday's marathon came over to see me. We chatted about the race and he told me that having read my account of the race on the club website, that he was really upset since he abandonned at 32km. I'd explained in my account, that my pride wouldn't let me give up as it would have meant telling all the others at the club. This was Franck's first 'DNF' in eight marathons, so he was disappointed in his performance. I was slightly comforted that I wasn't the only one to find it hard !

We ran together around St Germain for about 4 km and then back to the track. The rest of the club then did a 10 x 300 session with 100 rest while Franck and I jogged around the track.

A quiet evening to recover gently and it really helped the aches in my calves and thighs. About 8 km all up.

Oh by the way, the horrendous injury I'm suffering from is my left big toe nail which has been hammered into the toe causing an infection. Fine to run in large trainers, hell on earth to wear work shoes. Seriously contemplating wearing trainers to work tomorrow !!

No comments: