14 October 2008

VO Max training

Another VO2 max session on the track tonight with the club in an attempt to improve on last week's times.

Last week was the first session of VO2 max time trials to calculate our potential for training and race purposes. Unlike last week, tonight was rain and wind free and an ideal temperature to set record times over the 5 lap race.

We set off for a warm up run to begin with for 25 minutes, covering just over 4 km. We then carried on the warm-up on the outside lanes of the track as the slower members of the group did their session over a 1500m course. Laurence was taking part in this and I ran with her as she was going round to try and encourage her to catch the female runner in front. Laurence ran very steadily and managed almost the same time over the course as last week in 6:42. She's definitely capable of a better time but was probably feeling the distance in her legs after Sunday's run.

Once this race had finished, it was time for the 2km runners to line up on the start line. Bruno, Francisco, Mireille and Nick were all there and I lined up with them at the outside of the second lane. We were off and I took the lead into the first bend setting the pace. I led for the first 400m and then Francisco and another runner came past. I tucked in behind them, keeping to the inside lane and the cord around the bend. Bruno was just beside me and so the four of us went around the next 2 laps in this position. On the fourth lap, I could feel that I was tapping Francisco's feet on the back straight. I felt that the pace was just under what I was capable of but that I didn't have the energy to get past them around the bend. With 500m to go, Miguel, the trainer, shouted from the inside of the track that we had to go faster now. That was my cue and I pulled to the outside and overtook Francisco and the other man and told myself to push the final lap.

I gave everything over that 300 m and must have put a slight gap between me and them. With 200m to go, I felt completely drained but didn't want them to catch me, having made that break. I could hear them just behind me around the final bend. I hit the final straight and sprinted as fast as I was able, lifting my knees to give myself the largest stride possible. I crossed the line in 6:38 a good 17 seconds faster than last week and 4 seconds ahead of Francisco in second place.

Thrilled to bits with my performance and then spent the next 30 minutes coughing my lungs up. Bruno finished 4th in 6:48 and was disappointed to have been left behind. He's got the ability to beat me over this distance but perhaps lacks the same competitive spirit when it matters. Nick finished in 7:09 and should be able to beat the 7 minute barrier on a good day when he's fresh.

A new PB and makes me feel good about my strength after Sunday's run and the probability of beating my objective over the marathon.

Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Nick Wiechers said...

A great time tonight for you especially after Sunday. I was a bit disappointed not to break the 7 minutes but I'm not going to worry about it.

James said...

You can beat me over 400m so there's no reason you can't do a lot better over 2km. You definitely have the speed. 7 minutes is a cert for the next session like that.