1 October 2008

Running late

Arrived at the training session with the St Germain club over 10 minutes late last night having just returned back from business in Lille. I arrived in the car just in time to see them heading into St Germain forest at a slow jog.

Luckily Laurence had told me that they were heading for the main crossroads in the forest. I slipped out of my work clothes and into my running kit in the car, leapt out and chased after the group. They had already disappeared by this time so I set off at a good lick towards the designated training spot.

I actually arrived at the crossroads before the group, having taken a completely different route. For a few minutes, I wondered what I would do if nobody turned up but it was at this point that the club suddenly appeared through the trees. I spoke to Nick and gave Laurence a kiss before settling down to the workout.

The training for the evening was a 10x 1 minute session, split into 2 series of 5 intervals. We set off through the trees and it was instantly obvious (or not depending on how you look at it!) that in the twilight we couldn't see anything on the path in front of us. I was determined to make the most of the session, having arrived purposefully to participate, and despite Bruno's absence, I pushed on the first series watching Francisco, another sub-37 10 km runner, pull ahead of me.
On the second series, I managed a lot better and even pulled away from Francisco by the end.

A quick jog back to the clubhouse, a rapid shower and back to the car for a work dinner in Paris. It just doesn't stop at the moment.

A quick mention to François-Xavier for his performance in Berlin this weekend is necessary. He managed to beat the 3 hour barrier, finishing the marathon in an official 2:59:59. Talk about skin of the teeth !! Well done mate on a brilliant performance.

No comments: