15 October 2008

Running in the dark

6:45 am and the alarm went off. It felt like the middle of the night. I looked outside and it was the middle of the night. Lord knows where I found the motivation to go out running this morning but I pulled on my running kit and the headlamp and went outside.

Not only was it dark and early, it was also raining. All the usual questions such as why bother, why bother and why bother passed through my mind for a short instant, but I set the Garmin to training mode and took off. I ran down to the Seine and my legs were heavy following last night's session. I thought that I was running really slowly so it was a surprise to see the Garmin at 2 km showing 8:37 as it felt a good 30 seconds slower than that.

There was no real improvement in the speed for the rest of the course. The legs weren't in the mood for stretching out and I lacked the motivation to push them harder. I left the park in 27:44 so I had lost ground running up from the hippodrome. I relaxed from then on back to the house as no records were on offer today. I just concentrated on not being hit by a car in the dark running along the roads.

Stopped the watch outside the house in 46:56 so the end result wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Average pace of 4:15 per km. Even the rain had stopped, so things were looking up for the day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

30 second per kilometre too quick bro. These should be recovery runs after a hard session the night before. Don't try and set a PB every run or you'll never last the distance.

James said...

Wasn't trying to set a new PB but just to run the course. Can't help but look at the watch though and feel disappointed if I'm running too slowly. I didn't look at the watch from the park to the finish so I ran the last 4.5km at a pace I felt happy with.
What is the distance anyway ?
My big goal is a sub 3hr marathon in 10 days time. So 42.2 km is the distance for me !!