26 October 2008

Marathon des Yvelines

Well it was the big one. The one I'd been training for and my first real attempt on the 3 hour objective for the marathon. So what went wrong ?

I did everything I was supposed to: easing off on the training runs the week before the race; drinking the malto supplements for 3 days before the event; even eating the carbo cake 3 hours before the race - it just wasn't to be.

I got up at 6:30 this morning, ate my cake and had a cup of tea. I waited for 40 minutes and woke Laurence with a cup of tea as she was accompanying me on the bike around sections of the course. We hopped in the car and headed off to La Queue Lez Yvelines, a small village in the south of the county for the race. The weather was overcast, misty and windy. We hung around in the gym next to the start for as long as possible before facing the elements. I checked the number of runners entered for the race: 460 individuals and 65 relay teams. So not a huge race and the entries were very similar to last year's event.

I eventually lined up at the start and waited patiently for 5 minutes before the gun went and we were off. Having set the garmin to 4:10 per km, I watched the virtual partner all the time at the beginning of the race. I was running with another runner on his first marathon who was also aiming to beat the 3 hour barrier. At about 4 km, he must have decided that he was feeling fresh and he accelerated slightly and left me. I wasn't going to follow him as I was already about 8 seconds up on the watch which was set for a 2:56 total marathon time. This continued over the next 10 km and by the feeding station at 15 km, I was 30 seconds ahead of my VP. I stopped for a glucose drink losing about 15 seconds in the process and set off again. There was a group of 4 of us running together now and this was to remain like that for the next 10 km. We left the shelter of the forest after 18 km and had to run 3 km head down into the wind until the half-way point at Les Bréviaires. I went through the semi in 1:28:06 (almost setting a new PB in the process) and I could feel that I was tiring but I thought that I would be able to hold the pace for a while longer.

Big mistake. By the time I saw Laurence again at 24 km, I knew that my energy levels were dangerously low and she gave me a gel to replenish them. This helped slightly but it wasn't enough and after the 25 km feeding station our group of 4 runners had disentegrated. By 28 km the situation had worsened distinctly and I felt like giving up at this point. My pace was slowing and I switched the Garmin to timer mode, refusing to look at my VP racing off into the distance. I went through 28 km in 1:57:34 so the sub 3 hour course wasn't unfeasible but was looking decidely optimistic now. I spent the next few kilometres walking at times, stopping at the feeding stations for dirnks and progressing slowly. My legs were extremely tired and I couldn't manage the pace. I really was a whisker away from giving up completely but thought that if I slowed at least I could have the satisfaction of finishing.

At 33 km, Laurence was still cycling beside me, offering me water when necessary and trying to encourage me. I was angry and disappointed with myself and fed up with the whole affair. Then Nick appeared. He had promised to turn up and run the end of the race with me and it was a real pleasure to see him. Unfortunately, it didn't help me find any more energy but it did put all thoughts of giving up out of my head. He described the road ahead (flattish) and the hills to come (steep). Marvellous !

I struggled to keep up with him and he had to slow frequently not to lose me. I was cramping in my legs now: first the toes, then the calves; and finally the thighs. The hills were an agony and I had to walk up the last of the steepest. I was conscious that if I pushed too hard the cramps would become too much to bear and I would be forced to abandon. A quick stop at the 40 km feeding station and then the last 2 km down hill to the finish. What a relief. I crossed the line in 3:07:15 and promptly sat down to rest my legs.

So a new P.B. but still a disappointment with the objective not reached. I was on target at the half-way stage and the pain as it slipped out of my grasp was immense. Still I gave everything and the course was hard. It's not the flattest marathon and I had been warned. I'll have to wait until Paris in April 2009 for the next attempt.

Thanks to Nick and Laurence for their sterling efforts. It was a pleasure to have you with me. I'm not sure that this was reciprocal as I wasn't much fun out there today.

Here's a few photos to put you all off thoughts of marathons in the future:

The small group of runners at the 24 km mark

A view of my lopsided running style at 25 km

Beginning to look tired at 25 km
Nick looking decidely worried about my ability to complete the course !
One of the last sections of hills at 39 km.
The advert against ever running a marathon !

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not speaking from experience but everyone I talk to says that running marathons is a contant learning exercise. My own feeling is that you don't do enough KMs per week (you should be doing at least 100km to run one effectively) and that your club sessions focus too much on speed rather than speed endurance. Your current training is great for 10kms.

Still, huge amounts of respect from me for just completing it and being able to write your blog even contemplating another one!

Paul B said...

James that was a fine effort - i can understand you feel a bit as personal targets is what it is about for people like us - but it was a PB on a tough course and the small nature of the race did not provide you with too many tag along opportunities on the tough bits.

I think a few beers over the next weeks and then you will come to realise is was a great performance with better ones to come.

Well done from me and Allie.

Nick Wiechers said...

If the first 8km and the last 8km were representative of the rest of the course (and even if they weren’t) it was far from ideal to try to set a new record on. Still, it was great to be able to run with you without it being me suffering whilst trying to keep up. Take it easy for a few days.

Andy said...

Very respectable time, yet another PB. The headwinds and the hills are certainly worth at least 5 to 10 minutes.

You are running great at the moment, no injuries as well. Stay motivated, recover mentally & physically over a couple of weeks and you will be ready to focus on the next one.

James said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.
i) Tom - spoke to F-X at work today and he reckons that I train too much! I think that it's more a question of experience and length of training.
ii) Paul - you're right about the beers. They'll definitely help in the recovery process. I think that the opportunities to follow were there - I was in a group of runners. But when the fatigue sets in, you can't do a damn thing about it. More supporters along the route would help for the morale and 'buzz' of the event to boost you to a better time.
iii) Nick - thanks again mate. It was depressing to not be able to keep up with you. The photo of the 2 of us is a classic. The look of despair/worry on your face and mine beside you is a real picture!
iv) Andy - hills and headwinds cost no doubt. Paris next year will be a lot easier. I am suffering from injuries though - losing 2 nails on my left foot following yesterday's run!!