5 October 2008

Long run

Told Laurence that I'd go for a long run on Saturday morning and she almost talked me out of it. I have to admit that the week has been extremely busy and tiring and that a long run was not the most reasonable solution to be considered. However, my marathon training schedule prevailed and I headed out of the house on Saturday morning with the intention of trying out a new route suggested by Paul a few days ago.

I ran alongside the Seine to begin with at a comfortable pace. I went through my usual 2 km marker in 8:40 so I wasn't pushing the pace excessively but enjoying the scenery in daylight for once. I crossed over the bridge at Maisons Laffitte and headed to the other side of the Seine and turned North. This part of the river runs through Satrouville, then Cormeilles, then La Frette. It is fairly industrial to start with and then the river widens out and the views and the scenery improve immensely. I was running well and enjoying myself but also beginning to wonder if Laurence wasn't right and such a long run wasn't a bit ambitious.

After 1 hour, I had run 14.3 km so I was above marathon pace. This changed as I crossed over the bridge at Conflans and headed back home past the Cora lake. I was mightily relieved to finally arrive at the bakers in Le Mesnil buy some viennoiseries and run back home for a late breakfast with them.

All in all 24.25 km in 1:45 so an average of 4:21 per km. I slowed down dramatically over the second half of the course though. I'll need more sleep before the marathon if I'm to achieve my objective.

No comments: