29 February 2012

Sleep deprivation

Very nearly didn't make it up this morning to get this run in. Week started badly too, with business trips to Lyon and then Toulouse requiring such early starts that a run before travelling was impossible. Late nights back meant that I've been sleeping less than 5 hours a night and here I was in a hotel in Bordeaux seriously considering an extra hour in bed. My conscience git the better of me and the thought of a third day without going for a run was too much to bear so I pulled on my kit and left for a run at 6:00am.

Running in a strange place where you don't know the roads and the surroundings is difficult. This hotel was right next to the airport in Merignac and the first big decision was in which direction should I start running. It was pitch black and I headed down a road that had a path and some lighting. Unfortunately, this only lasted for 300m before the path and then the lighting fizzled out and I was running along the road, praying not to be knocked down by cars in the middle of the night. My only consolation was that I had my hotel key on me with the room number so at least the police would be able to identify me if I was killed in an accident. My mood was decidedly upbeat after 4 and a half hours sleep.

At the next roundabout I stumbled across a cycle path and some street lighting which I followed for 3.5 kilometres until I found myself back at the same roundabout. I'd completed a loop without realising and since I hadn't died or found myself in any severe difficulties, I went around again for good measure, even being cokcy enough to add on a little dog-leg this time to run around 13km back to the hotel.

I was feeling good and full of energy after 2 days rest and the pace was fairly fast with me running consistently under 4:10 / km now. I was still very happy to make it back to the hotel in one piece.

14.3 km all up in 59:46 or an average pace of 4:11 / km.

No comments: