19 February 2012

Etampes 10 km race

I was very relaxed going into this race. I was going to pace François and I was looking forward to the run. Laurence, on the other hand, was very stressed as she was attempting to beat her record set in Paris XIV and to go under 46 minutes for the first time over the distance. Would she be able to cope with the pressure and pull it off when it counted?

We had delayed our departure for our skiing holidays just to take part in this race and I gently reminded Laurence of this fact as we drove there just to increase the pressure on her. I am sure that this was appreciated. We met the others (François, Katia, Pascal and Sandra and the competition: Benjamin) when we picked up our bibs and we set off around the 5km course for a warm-up. The race would involve 2 loops, but they were relatively flat and the only obstance around the course was the patchy ice which hadn't melted in places.

We lined up at the start with the other 1000 runners and the gun went quickly and in the confusion I lost François. Luckily, he hadn't lost me and was a couple of metres behind but with the initial crowds, I found it difficult to spot him. We instantly set off at the designated pace of 3:49, passing the first kilometre in 3:43, which I thought wasn't bad going as pacing efforts go.

The next couple of kilometres were at the same pace around 3:45/ km, but after the fourth kilometre, François had to tell me to slow down so that  I wouldn't lose him. I had spotted the first female runner only a few metres ahead and I thought that this would spur François on, but we don't all act the same way when it comes to racing.

We finished our first loop and set off on the second. François was slower now and the initial pace had taken it out of him and he was paying the price now. I had no regrets as we gone out at the right pace but unfortunately, it's still slightly too fast for his level of training at the moment. We ran the next few kilometres at around 15 km/h and it was only in the last kilometre that he increased the pace slightly to 3:55 to cross the finishing line in 39:03, just behind the first 2 female runners. He'd beaten his PB but not his objective unlike Benj who had run a stormer with a final time of 36:43 and a new PB.

We ran back along the course and saw Pascal (41:56), and then Sandra (44:34) and not far behind her Laurence. I ran with Laurence to encourage her, but it wasn't the moment and so I kept my distance as she ran a new PB in 45:23 and was thrilled to bits with her result. Katia finished 6 seconds behind her to complete the club outing.

A warm down with Benj together and then I picked up the bags for a quick shower before we set off to the Alps for our skiing holiday, feeling that the delayed departure had been well worth the while.


 Taking my pacing duties for François very seriously after the first loop.

Laurence at the end of the race. Notice that she did not appreciate my accompanying her due to fatigue so I was obliged to run between the cars!








A big thanks to Paul for taking the photos.

3 comments:

Lorenza said...

About the last photo, it's not at all I didn't appreciate seeing you, on the contrary, I loved it! :) What I wasn't too keen on, however, was the fact you told me to accelerate 300 metres before the finish, when I was already in the red, trying my hardest, my angel ! :)

François said...

James it's a bit late to write it but thank you for pacing me during this race!

James said...

You're welcome François. I'll try and do a better job next time by running alongside you and not 5 metres in front. It's not as easy as it looks this pacing lark!!!