22 February 2012

Another recovery

I don't know if calling these recovery runs fully conveys the effort necessary to run in conditions such as these: -10°C, hills everywhere, early morning after a day's skiing, and ice on the roads. Whatever, I'd set the alarm to 7:00 am and I was going to run for an hour, just like the programme stated.

I almost changed my mind when the alarm rang and it was barely daybreak outside. I put on my skins, a couple of tops, some gloves and my new running hat. I headed out in the direction of Monday's route, up the back roads to Megevette, along the valley and then back down the main road.

The start was similar to Monday with the first kilometres run at 5:00 pace and then 5:30 up the hills. Once the uphill behind me, I was running along the valley at 4:30 pace. I reached the main road, this time avoiding the traipse across the snow-covered field, and coasted back down the hill to Onnion. There is a real difference in temperature between the plain at Megevette and a few hundred metres lower in the valley towards Onnion. This was really appreciable as I raced down the last section of road to the centre. At least I avoided frostbite where it hurts most.

11.7 km all up in 54:47 or an average pace of 4:41/km. Now for the cross-country skiing again.

2 comments:

Lorenza said...

Pity you didn't write about the cross country skiing, because for once, I experienced this exhilarating feeling of being in front of you going up hill, and I have to admit, it really made my day! :) Being behind me hopefully made you realize what a depressing life I lead when it comes to practising sport, especially running, with you. However, to be fair, I have to admit you inspire me to push myself, but what a tough school!

James said...

Behind every man is a good woman!
You are the living truth that this saying is spot on. Depressed about my corss-country skiing as I wrote in today's post. I've just got to find some secret training spot and some personal tuition and I'll be sorted for our next sortie.