7 November 2010

Cross Toto Vermet

It was the annual club cross-country race again today and I had decided that although I wasn't in the mood to take on a full-blown race so soon after the Toulouse Marathon, that I should still defend my unmerited title as 1st vet from last year's race.

The race plan was clear, I wasn't going to try and hold on to either Gérald or Nico but to run my race and to follow either Bruno or Thierry around the course and just push it at the end to win and retain my title. So much for the plan, what actually happened ?

We ran to the start of the race at an easy jog and having picked up my bib, we all set off for a survey of the course and a 3km loop both to warm-up and see how much mud was present. I'd put on my trail shoes since it had rained really heavily yesterday and I was convinced that the path back up to the start would be waterlogged and muddy. This was probably a bad shout as the path was relatively dry with only a few pools of water on the final stretch.

All the main players were there: Nico, Jean-Marc, Gérald, Bruno W, Thierry but no sign of Bruno P (Nice-Cannes marathon next week) so that was one competitor less and I only had Thierry to worry about. Thierry had struggled at training on Thursday night on the track and I was fairly confident that I could beat him if I stayed close.

We lined up at the start, all 71 of us, and unlike most races there is no jostling as to the position on the line. Since everyone knows each others abilities, there is a natural order which establishes itself and it is one of the most courteous races in which I've taken part. We set off moderatley and I let the front runners gain a few metres from the gun. It was only after 300 metres of downhill that I started to pay attention as to what was going on up ahead and then Thierry came past. I latched onto him as he did and we passed Mireille on the first uphill section. Nico wasn't too far ahead and he'd let a little gap grow between himself and the front, with Gérald ahead of him here. I stuck to Thierry closely and as the course flattened out towards 2 km and juts before the start of the uphill back to finish the 3 km loop, I felt really easy and overtook him as I thought that he was tiring slightly.

In retrospect, this was probably a mistake and I should have hung longer on his shoulder before making an effort. As it was, I passed him and didn't make sufficient effort to make a break and another 200m later, he came past me again. I hung on tight now but mentally, he'd been saved and I could see that his stride looked more fluid. We ran past Nick who'd come along to support us. I really appreciated his words of comfort as I passed him: "Come on James. Make an effort" - thanks mate!

We finished the first lap in 11:05 and this was faster than last year for me but I definitely felt easier. Mireille finished behind beating her own record by 2" and there was a bigger gap between us than last year. The front group had made 20 seconds on us by now and I could see that Nico had caught and passed Gérald and that on the second lap that both Thierry and I were starting to reel him in. We ran up the short hill for the second time and I began to tire at this point, having run 4k of the 6k race. Thierry was running smoothly and I could see that bar an explosion on his part, I would have difficulties catching him now. Gérald maintained his distance at this point as probably both Thierry and I slowed down our pace. These positions stayed like this until the end of the race and it was only afterwards that I was cross with myself for not having made a bigger effort to catch Thierry.

I finished 6th overall in 23:04 beating last year's time by 2" but a minute down on Nico who ran a superb 21:58, despite complaining about the 15k we ran yesterday which tired him out! Gérald finished 17 seconds ahead of me and Thierry 9. I was pleased with my time and the shape I'm in despite still suffering the after-effects of the marathon. Looking forward to running at Montfort l'Amaury and the night trail.

14,2 k all up in 1:12.

1 comment:

Nick Wiechers said...

Ha, Ha. It looked like hard work so well done. Maybe see you at Montfort L'Amaury where I might be making my comeback, although not in race mode