8 November 2010

Autumn recovery run

Just managed to find the motivation to get myself out of bed at 6:00 am again this morning but it was a close run thing. I hit the off button on the alarm radio and seriously thought about closing my eyes again and having a lie-in. Then I thought about how much I'd achieved recently and that I didn't want this patch of form to disappear simply because I was too lazy to get out of bed. So I got up.

My legs were feeling tight after yesterday's race, especially my left thigh, so I decided to just take it easy. What I failed to take into account is that autumn has finally arrived and that it's getting cold outside. At 5°C, I didn't want to be hanging around, so my easy run turned into a let's not get too cold, too quickly sort of a run.

I ran down to the Seine, soaking my feet in the process as I ran through some enormous puddles. Luckily, it had stopped raining, otherwise my limited motivation would have disappeared completely: I couldn't handle rain and cold. I didn't look at the Garmin as it signalled every kilometre with a beep as it was already low on battery and I didn't think it would make it to the end of the run. It didn't. The battery finally ran out at 10k when there was 300m left to run, so I never saw my final time. However, I did see that I was on schedule to run around 45:xx for the 10.3k which felt normal since I'd ben running between 4:25 and 4:30 per km.

10.3k all up in 45:xx then. A good start to the week and I felt far better by the end of the run, having enjoyed myself and glad that I'd gone out. Motivation is improving daily...

No comments: