6 November 2010

Cora and back

It was a miserable day today. One of those autumn days where it feels as though the sun hasn't yet risen and the light is somewhere between dawn and daylight. Not just that it was dark and bleak, but just as I stepped out ot go for my morning run, it decided to rain too. Not a heavy rain, just a mild drizzle to begin with and then it became more sustained.

It had been a general call-out to the usual suspects but only Nico was in a state fit to run. Nick is injured with lumbago, Didier was stuck in Frankfurt airport on his way back from Hong Kong, and Paul was ... God knows where Paul was but he wasn't answering his e-mails.

Nico and I set out at 8:30 along the usual route. It was the usual route for me at least but the first time that Nico had run this route with me. I set out at the usual pace, starting slowly to begin with leaving Le Mesnil and then speeding up to around 4:30 pace. Nico is unused to training at this pace and we eased off as we approached Cora, admittedly we'd sped up unwittingly to 4:25 pace and neither of us was comfortable.

My overall feeling was that my cold that has now been with me for 2 weeks is still present and caused me to cough while I was running. My legs still haven't recovered from the marathon and I felt the bottom of my thighs ache from about 8km onwards. We finished the 15km in 1:09 which is on par for the usual route but I felt tired towards the end and recently this course at this pace has been a breeze.

So, in summary, good run with great company and we had a good chat all the way round. We had a good discussion as to our views on the lovelife of several members of the club which is always fun. We bumped into Hélène and Brigitte on the way back and they congratulated me (and Laurence) on our performance in Toulouse which was lovely. Nico asked me if I'd specially prepared my fan club to be waiting in the forest like that, but I think that this was just jealousy! Don't know if I'm ready for a race tomorrow even if it is a club event but I'll give it a try as I've my place as first vet to defend. Legs are still not fully recovered for the marathon though and that's a cert.

4 comments:

delphine said...

If I was fast enough - which I don't seriously believe is ever gonna happen-, I would certainly try ang go running run with you, for the sole purpose of finding out about all the gossip on lovelife at the club !
I had much pleasure reading you though. Both funny and well written. And very useful for me to improve my knowledge of running-related vocab ... It made my day ! See you soon, Delph

James said...

Delphine - I'm sure that Nico and I will slow down and let you run with us if you promise to provide us with some gossip!

delphine said...

The point is, I don't have any to share with you, or I wouldn't be so keen on getting to know yours !

Nicolas said...

James, I think you should think about changing the main subject of your blog : looks like your readers are more interrested in gossip on runner's lovelives than in your athletic performances...