3 October 2010

Trying times

It was the long Sunday run for today and in my head I'd planned the same run that I did at this stage of my marathon training for Paris: a 4x20' at marathon pace plus.

I can't say that I was looking forward to it. I knew that it would be draining from an energy point of view but it would also be a big confidence booster if I was able to do better than in March. I set out with Laurence on the bike carrying all of the water and sugar tablets and a fruit bar. It's so much easier when you don't have to carry all of the equipment yourself and I was really appreciative of having Laurence with me.

I set out steadily, completing the first kilometre in 5:00 dead and then speeding up to around 4:35 pace. I carried on like this until Princess Road finishing the last 2 kilometres of uphill in 5:13 for each. I was already a little disappointed by this pace as when I'd run with Nick at the end of August, we made it to the top of Princess Road without going below 12km/h (5:00 per km pace).
I was tired at the top and after a quick drink of water, I carried on and began to start my first 20' interval. I was running well but found it tiring: after the first interval the garmin beeped to say that I'd run the kilometre in 3:44 - this was too fast. I eased off and ran the next kilometres in 4:16, 4:08, 4:04. This was definitely better but still an effort.

I slowed for a 3' recovery and then set off again. I only managed 5' before the effort required was too much and I gave it all up as a bad job. I wasn't ready for this sort of effort and I relaxed into around 4:30 pace. I caught up with a couple of runners at this point and discovered that it was Bruno with a friend. I ran past them, after saying hello, and carried on at about 4:30 pace downhill. As I entered St Nom La Breteche I slowed again up some small hills. I was completely shattered already after 20km (1:30) and even the smallest slope was slowing me to under 12km/h.

I entered the town centre of St Nom La Breteche and at this point I'd had enough. I walked and was completely disappointed with myself. I thought that I was in better shape than this and I couldn't understand why I was letting myself down. The 4x20' had disappeared completely as an objective and now all I could think about was getting back without pinching Laurence's bike!

I started jogging again and once I was up the hill on the plateau before St Germain, I began to run at 4:30 pace again. I sped up slightly down the hill and managed to run the rest of the route at around 4:30 pace.

33.4km all up in 2:34 or an average of 4:35 per km. Cross with myself for not having done better but satisfied that I managed to complete the distance. 3 weeks to the marathon and still plenty of doubts as to my ability at the moment. Biggest problem is still lack of sleep and I need to recover better if I'm going to run well in Toulouse.

About 86km for this week's training.

No comments: