5 October 2010

3x2000m

Early morning interval session planned for this morning of 3 x 2000m off 2' recovery. Each 2km was supposed to be run in 8:20 so just slightly faster than marathon pace.

I set off feeling fairly good about the session as it's easier than the last few outings have been. 2km in 8:20 is not quite relaxed but it's not a strenuous effort and so 3 intervals at this pace was not daunting.

I warmed up down to the 1km mark and then set off on the first interval. I ran at what I considered to be a brisk pace but without killing myself. When I went past the first kilometre, the Garmin beeped and I read what I thought to be 4:12. I thought that I'd been taking it slightly too easily so I stepped up the pace slightly and ran harder to the end fo the first interval, completing the second kilometre in 3:53. It was only when I got back to the house at the end that I saw that the first kilometre had actually read 4:01 !

I was able to recover well after 2 minutes and had even started building the pace up again before the end of the recovery. Off I set again completing the next 2 kilometres in 3:57 and 3:59. Another 2 minutes recovery and the final interval was run in 3:54 and 3:57.

Very pleased with the overall result, running each of the intervals in under 8 minutes off 2' recovery and after the third interval, I seriously thought about running a fourth interval for a little while before reasoning that I have a 20 x 400m session to do on Thursday and burning myself out early would not be wise.

12 km all up in 53 minutes.

No comments: