21 March 2010

Long Sunday

The Sunday training plan for the club stated that a 1:40 training run with 3x12' intervals was on the cards. I decided to run over to the club to add a few extra kilometres and then run back at the end in order to put in a good long run this Sunday.

I ran over to the club and spoke to Laurence who'd arrived in the car. It was at this point that Miguel announced that 2 sessions were on: the initial 1:40 run and a marathon training session of 2:40 with 4x20 minutes off 4' rest. I chose the latter and ran off, leaving Laurence for the first session and headed off with Thierry, Fabrice and Bruno B. We met up with José, Nathaniel and others at the Lycee Horticole after a 3km warm-up to get there.

We all ran to the top of Princess Road and instead of turning right to go to St Gemme, we turned left to take the long way round to get there. We started the first interval and I ran with Nathaniel just behind Thierry and José at around 4:05 pace. I felt really good, despite the tiredness of the week and I found the pace fairly comfortable.

The second interval was into St Gemme and I was running by myself now, behind the same 2 in front and just ahead of Fabrice and Bruno. I finished this interval and I definitely didn't feel as fresh as the start. No, I definitely felt knackered already. I'd been averaging 3:57 per km over this interval, admittedly mostly downhill. I wasn't looking forward to the next interval as we had to run uphill through St Nom la Breteche now.

My worst fears were confirmed as both Fabrice and Bruno came past me on the uphill section through the town. I felt like giving up but as soon as the road flattened out and we were heading back to St Gemme through the forest my feelings came back and I caught back up with them both. I ran just behind them for a while catching my breath back and then I pushed on past them. We were running at 4:08 per km pace now and I was shattered. I didn't know how I was going to manage the last interval. My legs were very heavy now, but my breathing was still relatively fine.

Another 4 minutes rest and we were off on the last interval. Hell on earth. I'd already run about 28km now and I was wondering how on earth I was going to get home. We were heading back to the top of Princess Road and it's precisely 11km back home from here. If I couldn't find a lift back, I was on for a 44km run. This weighed heavily on my mind, plus my heavy legs and my heavy breathing, all of this made the going hard. I concentrated on staying ahead of Fabrice and Bruno. At this point José pulled up and started walking with an Achilles problem. I carried on and was relieved to begin the downhill down Princess Road and finally stop. I'd managed the session depsite the mileage in my legs and I'd stayed ahead of Fabrice on every interval. I was pleased and confident in my running at the moment. A good marathon performance is definitely on the cards if I can hold my body together.

Garmin ran out before the end of the run, but I'd already clocked 33 km when the battery gave out. Around 40 km all up in just over 3 hours. Definitely a long Sunday run.

Oh and the really good news: Laurence picked me up from the club at the end of the run. I was on my knees by now and my knight in shining armour showed up! Best part of the run.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So what happened to the Paris Marathon?