10 October 2010

Long Sunday Run (LSR)

It was hard to get out of bed after a night out last night and getting back to bed late. We decided not to set the alarm and it was 10 o'clock when we finally got up.

Laurence and I both decided to run our long runs this morning as this was the last one scheduled before the marathon in 2 weeks time. I had been so disappointed with my run last Sunday that I decided to run the same course and to just run it steadily to see how I would fare.

I set off slowly so as not to burn myself out too early and ran the first kilometre into the forest in 5 minutes. I sped up gradually from then on getting to the top of Princess Road in 52:30 almost a minute faster than last week. Despite this faster time, I felt a lot more energy and I didn't stop at all pulling a chocolate bar from the rucksack as I ran (no mean feat either as I fumbled with the zip for a good 3 or 4 minutes) and eating this with a slurp from the Camelbak.

I didn't try and attempt any intervals this week but carried on running steadily, just accelerating slightly to around 4:20 pace. I maintained this speed to Feucherolles and then sped up again downhill before easing as I hit the hill out of St Nom la Breteche. This in fact was my slowest kilometre at 5:08 and I could feel the fatigue settling in. I had some more water and took on sugar and I instantly felt better again. This was probably the best managed run I've achieved in taking on solids and I need to remember this for the marathon.

Back up to marathon speed (4:14) along the plateau and then a fast descent into St Germain (3:50) before another long slog up into St Germain and back to marathon speed through the forest to finish. I was pleased with my speed at the end despite the tiredness which just goes to proved what you can achieve when you think you're beat.

33.5 km all up in 2:31 or 4:31 average per kilometre. This brings my total mileage for the week to 103 km and a nice taper now for the next 2 weeks. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice run Jamie and a good final confidence booster. I'm predicting a 2:54:59...

James said...

I'd be over the moon if I achieved that. We'll just see on the day how it goes. If I can finish at the same pace that I start then it'll be in the bag!

Nicolas said...

Indeed, everything looks alright, you should now start thinking about small details such as drinking (water) and eating well, wearing warm clothes...
I'm going to wait for the weather forecast before giving you my prediction!!!
However, enjoy the last easy sessions before the fight.