30 July 2009

Venitian mosquitoes

I almost changed my mind about going for a long run early this morning. I was in half a mind to stay in bed and sleep for a little while longer all because of a few little insects. The said insects, mosquitoes, woke me up at 3:30 am and I felt obliged to kill all the little b**tards in order to stop them buzzing me with a fly-by every 2 minutes.

It had been so hot yesterday, that we experimented with the window open last night to try and let a little fresh air into the bedroom: bad move. With the fresh air, there was a small squadron of the little b**tards, that also decided to share our living space. Early this morning, it all became too much for me and I decided that I'd rather die of heat exhaustion and suffocation that be sucked to death by a bunch of b**tard insects. I closed the window, went on a killing spree, spraying the bedroom walls with our own blood, which is rather satisfying since at least you know that you've achieved pay-back big time !

The alarm rang at 7:45 am and I hit snooze. 9 minutes later it rang again and this time I thought that I'd better do something about it, so I got up. Half asleep with the early morning exploits, I dragged my kit on and my carcass out of the flat to go for a run. I set off in the same direction as usual, heading for the north of the city and Piazzale Roma. The morning was hot, despite the early start, and the effort to run at 4:40 pace was intense. There was no air, not a whisper of a breeze and the humidity was also very high. I struggled down the quays to Punta della Dognana and the 5 km mark before heading over to St Mark's Square and the Bridge of Sighs. Due to the early start, the Square was virtually empty and the run towards the public gardens and the Biennial exhibition was easier since there were no crowds to avoid. I still suffered at the 7 - 8 km mark though feeling the heat and the exhaustion in my body.

I slowed the pace down and ran around the public gardens to St Elena at the farthest end of the island and then started heading back. The most wonderful sight appeared at exactly 10 km when I came upon a water fountain in the park. I was able to fill my cap and pour the water over my head 3 times, before carrying on the run. Back up to St Mark's Square, then over Rialto bridge before back home thoroughly exhausted.

13.5 km all up in 1:05:05 or an average of 4:48 per km. Faster on the way out and then struggling to finish in 5:15 pace. Pleased to have run anyway as I'm sure that runs like this do wonders for my endurance.

Now where's my mosquito swat ?
Picture of the little b**tard!

No comments: