28 July 2009

Venice morning run

I've been feeling guilty these past days that I haven't been out for a long run. Yesterday was lovely to run with Laurence but it still didn't help me feel any better about my lack of distance recently. Today, I was hoping to change all of that and run by myself for a long run.

The plan, before I set out, was to head out in the same direction as yesterday towards Piazzale Roma and then along the quays to Punta della Dogana, back up to Accademia over to St Marks square and then along the front to the public gardens, back to St Marks square, up to Rialto bridge and over the bridge back to the flat. In fact, I actually managed to do the route as planned, however, the manner in which it was done, left a lot to be desired.

I set out earlier than yesterday, at about 8:45am, hoping to avoid the worst of the heat. It soon became apparent as I left the shade of the narrow alleys around the flat, that I was very optimisic as the sun was already up and the day promised to be a scorcher. Not a cloud in sight, and the thermometer was probably already around 33°C. To make it worse, the paths along the quays offered no shade and my cap did not provide anough protection from the sun for my liking.

I was running well to begin with covering the first 5 kilometres at an average of 4:38 per km. I crossed over the bridge at Accademia and on to St Marks Square and along the front towards the public gardens and I began to suffer. At just under 7.5km I stoppped for a short rest in some shade. I was desperate for a drink of water but there were no fountains here. I told myself that I would continue as planned but just ease off the pace so as not to wear myself out in the heat and humidity. My pace slowed from this point on and I ran the kilometres at about 5:10 pace.

I admired the yachts tied up alongside the coast towards the public gardens, including Cloud 9, which you can hire here: http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=mycloud-1546 if you happen to have the 350k€ necessary per week available.

I ran back to Rilato through the narrow streets from St Marks place, which was a pleasant relief since these were a lot cooler than in full glare of the sun. Avoiding the tourists was hazardous enough though.

11.5km all up in 56:47 or an average of 4:57 per km so no great shakes as far as pace is concerned. Good to get a longer run in. I struggle in the heat though - but this is not new ! Map of run is here.
Traffic on the grand canal in summertime in Venice

No comments: