19 July 2009

LSR

LSR - long, slow run. The agreed formula for running training for a sucessful marathon. Combined with some speedwork and threshold training, this is guaranteed (well almost) to get me to achieve my 3 hour objective for the next marathon.

I having been trying to up the mileage and with this in mind, I set off running through the forest to the club session at St Germain this morning, rather than taking the car. It's a 5km run through the trees, 5 km return together with the club session of about 15km on Sunday, would give me a total of 25km for the morning and a good start to the week (Garmin trainer goes from Sunday to Saturday fyi).

I made it to the clubhouse with a couple of minutes to spare and listened to the moning briefing. It was a small pyramid session today with 1', 3', 5', 3', 1' off 1 minute rest and 2 minutes after the 5 minute interval. We ran very easily for the first 5 kilometres, which I appreciated having run fast through the forest to begin with anyway.

We started the intervals and I was running with Jean-François, Philippe and Bertrand (who I'd started with at Orgerus). I was on the second interval when disaster struck and my right foot folded beneath me. Dominique who was just behind me saw it happen and asked if it was OK. I just yelped and took the worst of the pain as it gradually eased over the next 2 to 3 minutes. I had to ease off the pace and let some other runners past until the end of the interval.

I could feel my ankle for the rest of the run and was looking forward to getting back and to put some ice on it for it to recover. I strapped it up afterwards and it is much beeter this evening. I should be able to run on it again soon, but I'll give it a rest tomorrow. More proof that I need a new pair of trainers!

On the way back to the clubhouse after the intervals, Jean-François and Bertrand were pushing the pace. I couldn't help but respond and before I knew it, I was leading them home at 15km/h along the road by the St Germain golfclub. Alex and Dominique were disappointed since they were hoping to catch us but couldn't beat that pace.

25.4k all up in 2:10. Good run, shame about the ankle.

No comments: