24 July 2009

Chamonix

First day of the holidays today and we are staying at Chamonix tonight before heading on to Venice tomorrow. I took my running kit for tonight to make the most of the hotel facilities and the surrounding countryside for the run.

The weather is overcast and the temperature in the low 20°C, so perfect for a late afternoon run. I ran along the valley towards Chamonix, trying to stay off the main road. Unfortunately, most of the roads I took ended in cul-de-sacs, but not before I'd had to climb a hundred metres or so up the roads before discovering this. So much for the hill training, I was suffering with the altitude and the efforts of the climb.

I ran back over the motorway and onto the old road leading out of Bosson and into Chamonix. I followed this up into the town running at a reasonable rate of around 4:27 per km. At 7 km on the Garmin, I turned round and headed back towards Bosson and the hotel. I discovered that it was now slightly downhill which made me all the more pleased concerning the pace that I'd been running at before.

I managed to get back to the hotel just before the skies opened and the storm began. 11.5 km all up in 52:40 or an average of 4:35 per km. Good run and pleased with my performance.
"Did you see how fast he was running ?" - Paccard to Balmat in Chamonix town centre.

No comments: