1 July 2009

Mad dogs ...

Another roasting hot day today. Since I hadn't been able to get out with the club yesterday, I packed my running kit into a bag this morning and threw it into the car, hoping that I'd get the chance to go for a run at lunchtime. Sure enough, I was able to get out and I even managed to get François-Xavier to come along with me.

As we left the building, the first blast of heat caught us. It was probably 31 or 32°C and we both agreed that we wouldn't try and beat any records but just take it easy for a 10k run. We went to the swimming pool to get changed and then ran towards Grouchy Castle along a new path that I didn't know about. We were able to avoid the first hill which was a start, but the heat was already taking its toll after only a couple of kilometres. My legs felt heavy, my muscles were sore, my throat was parched and my head was sweating profusely.

I had decided that we would run 3 laps of the castle grounds but by the end of the second lap, F-X wanted a breather and told me to run on. We were running around 12.4 km/h pace at this point, but I began to feel slightly better now and picked the pace up ever so slightly to around just over 13 km/h or 4:35 per km. I was guessing now as to the pace as, stupidly, I'd left my Garmin on my desk before leaving the building. So much for technology ...

I caught F-X up towards the end of the third lap and we ran back to the swimming pool together. The last hill over, I changed into my trunks and the relief of jumping into the pool was tremendous. Now Summer has arrived, the pool roof has been retracted and the enjoyment of an open air pool is just amazing. It really feels like being on holiday.

10 lengths later and I had to get out already. Great swim and pleased that I'd made it out for the run. Wondering if the antibiotics aren't having an effect on my legs or if it is purely down to the hot weather.

10km all up in around 48 minutes.

No comments: