30 March 2011

Another recovery

I woke up wondering what on earth was happening and which day of the week it was. Unfortunately it wasn't the weekend yet and when I looked at the alarm clock showing 6:00am, I knew I had to get up to go for a run. I was tempted for a few seconds just to turn the machine off and go back to sleep but since I am committed to the marathon, I knew I had to get up and put some training in.

The moment I got out of the door, I realised it was going to be hard. Well not quite this soon, I ran down to the gate with an enthusiastic bound, hit start on the Garmin and ran off. 20 metres later I was already out of breath and my legs were like lead. It's recovery run so don't worry. Unlike yesterday morning, I didn't improve in the slightest. A glance at the watch every kilometre confirmed my struggle: 5:00/km was the best I could achieve.

I ran the 10 km course just to keep up the mileage but it was a real struggle. One of those days when you want to stop and walk and wonder why you run in the first place. It was desperate.

10.3 km all up in 50:20 so an average of 4:55 per km. To be forgotten.

No comments: