6 March 2011

Cora last week

I ran to Cora and back with Nico last Saturday and again I didn't post as it was a blow to me.

I was able to manage the pace, albeit a lot more exhausted on arrival back at the house than usual, but the pain in the achilles was a huge disappointment.

How can I express this ? It's not that it truly hurts when I run. I begin by feeling a slight tension in the left ankle. This tension builds and builds and feels like a large bruise at the base of the calf. The pain gradually increases and I know that I should stop to let my body recover, but I don't. I carry on as I'm determined to maintain my fitness, to keep up the mileage and to keep down my weight.

When I got back last Saturday though, I knew I'd gone too far and my ankle was sore all weekend. I put off my usual Monday run and delayed it until Tuesday to give me time to recover.

Basically, the ankle grates and grinds as I move my foot up and down and no amount of ice on the ankle will stop this. This feeling gradually disappears with time. After a standard run (7.5k) this takes a day. After Cora last weekend it took 2 days. I knew I wasn't improving and I needed further treatment if I was to get rid of this burden.

It was great to run with Nico but the disappointment was ovewhelming hence my silence. So why am I writing again ... this will take another posting by itself.

No comments: