1 April 2011

Club session

Good atmosphere at the club session last night. Programme was relaxation for the elite group who are preparing for the 10km race at Aubergenville on Sunday. The marathon runners were easing off on their preparation for the most part with the marathon in Paris and Rotterdam only 10 days away. The leisure runners were also taking it easy (as always!). As a result of all of this, there was a light-hearted atmosphere and the lighter evening, now that we're in Summer time, helped considerably.

I tried to influence the London marathoners to do a track session and we eventually decided on 6x800m intervals off 200m recovery. We warmed up together and I chatted with Bruno and a new guy, Frédéric, who'd just run the Barcelona marathon in 3h15. We discussed race tactics and training schedules and Bruno told us that after receiving treatment for tendonitis in the achilles, he was now suffering from pains in the heel with each footfall. He added that he had no chance of competing with me in London. Unfortunately, Bruno hasn't regained his fitness following his 2 marathons run almost back to back in the autumn of 2010 and it's hard for him mentally to see the group of runners that he used to beat easily running as fast or faster than him at the moment.

Nico was there too but when we were on the warm-up, he decided to "woose" it out with the girls in the forest rather than doing some serious training back at the track. He's quite clearly very unsure of himself and his capability now that I am returning to health and fitness. I'm lloking forward to racing him in the near future after the marathon. I went back to the track with José, Thierrry, Bruno, Frédéric and Laurent to do our 800m. After a few strides down the back straight, we lined up for the intervals.

José and Thierry set off first training at their VO2 max pace and I set off next aiming to beat 3:00 per 800m based on the Yasso rules. The others were happy to run at marathon speed, or 3:24 per 800 and so I left them behind me. Overall, I felt quite comfortable, although sweating quite heavily in the evening warmth, and I ran the intervals as follows:

2:54, 2:55, 2:54, 2:53, 2:55, 2:56

So very regular and I made sure that José didn't gap me too much. Thierry, although starting fast, dropped back after the 3rd interval and I didn't see him at the end of the session. I wonder whether he still has the motivation to train hard and to run his 60th marathon under 3 hours. His aim is still 2:45 for Rotterdam but it doesn't appear that he has the same level of fitness as José at the moment who is also aiming for this time.

12km all up and another good quality session. Nico, having finished his stroll in the forest, watched in wonder as I ran my intervals. He tried not to show his emotions but I could feel that his fear was quite palpable. Coming back ...

No comments: