7 March 2011

Early morning limp

I was full of hope and excitement this morning as I got up to go for an easy jog around the short route of Maisons Laffitte. Yesterday had been a great day and had boosted me psychologically into thinking that the injury was almost behind me and that I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and whatever other overused cliché comes to mind. I was really looking forward to getting out again and putting in some mileage even if the quality training wasn't there yet.

It was chilly when I left the house with the thermometer reading about 1°C. This may have had an effect on my tendon as it felt stiff and after the first few paces, I knew that the euphoria of yesterday would be short-lived. I told myself just to take it easy and not to push the pace so I contented myself with an easy jog along by the river and then back through the park. The achilles was tight and slightly painful after the first kilometre and I just kept waiting for the moment when the ankle would warm up and the pain would subside. This didn't really happen so I was a little disappointed, to say the least, when I got back home.

7.6km all up in 38:00 so 5:00 per km average. I thought I'd been running faster than this even if I had been taking it easy so no solace here either.

No comments: