17 March 2011

Improving

I actually looked forward to going for my run this morning. This is the first time in a while as recently, I've been depressed with the injury and the pain in my achilles was getting me down every time I went out. After Tuesday's training session, I've regained some determination to lose weight, and to improve my training schedule.

My achilles is not the only element that is getting better as the weather as showing definite signs of spring lately. I switched to a sleeveless cotton top and some shorts and headed outside where it was 9°C. I decided to run my usual 10km route at a reasonable pace. Reasonable means not quite marathon speed, but just faster than 4:30 per km. So with all these good resolutions in my head, I lined up the satellites, hit start on the Garmin, and set off down the road. I felt good from the start: not brilliant as I was slightly short of breath but my achilles wasn't even aching - nothing. This was a good sign.

I ran down to the river and ran easily listening to the birds welcoming in the dawn. This encouraged me too as winter is almost over and the days are getting longer. Living without regular sunshine is not an option for me any more. I need some good sunshine to feel better about myself and my running! I was still short of breath as I ran the second and third kilometres but I looked at my watch as the Garmin beeped for the third time : 13:10. This was good: averaging well under 4:30 for the first few kilometres. I was encouraged and more determined to maintain the pace now.

I looked at the Garmin now for each kilometre - 4:24, 4:25, 4:24 again. I was running regularly and easier now. Still no pain or any unusual feeling from my achilles and this was to last until the end of the run. I ran through the park, happy to get off the road and onto a softer but still smooth surface. Back up through town past the church and a last faster kilometre downhill to finish. It was only when I stopped running that I felt a slight twinge from my achilles which was not painful, just a little sign to let me know that I'm not quite over it yet.

10.3 km in 45:04 or an average of 4:21 per kilometre.

I don't have the stamina to manage this for a marathon and London will be simply a question of soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying myself. If I go under 3:30 I'll be more than happy.

No comments: