29 August 2010

Long Sunday Run

A deviation from the marathon running schedule for today which only required 1:40 of effort with three intervals of 10', 12' and 14' at threshold speed. I decided I would go back to my long road route through the forest to St Germain, along to Feucherolles down through St Nom la Breteche and back through St Germain to home.

Good news was that I was not alone for the run: Nick had agreed to run at least the first 11km with me up to the top of Princess Road. He would then head back and I would carry on. Further good news: Laurence was accompanying me on the mountain bike with a camelbak and so I wouldn't need to carry a bag and I had somebody with me to encourage me.

We set off easily enough and did the first km in just over 5 minutes. In fact, this would be the only kilometre that I would run under 12km/h. It was a nice morning and there was some sunshine but the temperature was probably hovering around the 14°C mark. We gradually built up speed until we were running steadily at 4:35 per km until the hills began. The first climb was up to the lycée horticole which we ran well and then the long slog up util the top of Princess Road. I felt good going up the hills and was concentrating on not bending my back but trying to run as upright as possible.

We left Nick to run back home from the top and we carried on to Feucherolles from there. I tried to run at marathon pace from this point and was covering each kilometre at about 4:15 - 4:20 pace. I carried on until St Nom la Breteche, enjoying the downhill sections to maintain the pace. I felt slightly tired but not excessively and was happy with the feelings as this was my first long run for a while.

By the time I got to St Germain, I was a lot less fresh and taking on water more frequently. The hills had taken it out of me and I just wanted to finish now. I managed to continue running and not to stop and everything was going well until about 2.5k to go when Laurence punctured. I offered to stop and help but she waved me on and ran with the bike back home. I was able to find a little bit of energy to actually increase the pace (now that I knew that the end was in sight) and finished at 4:26, then 4:10 then 3:58 for the last kilometre.

34 km all up in 2:33 or an average pace of 4:31 per km. Very pleased that I was able to get around and thrilled to manage in this time. I was probably better trained just before Paris as I was able to run faster the "marathon pace" stretches but definitely not in this shape at this stage of the preparation. Total mileage for the week 103 km - second week ever where I've managed over 100k!

Laurence got back safely 18 minutes after me ! Puncture still needs repairing - any offers ?

2 comments:

Gérald said...

Bravo james for this training!!! 34 kilometers, it is a lot especially in 2:33 am. For the same time, I am 28 km with two recovery of 2 minutes. I hears someone to say to me that 100 kilometers a week it is too then in more on one pace raised... I believe that you left to make 2:50 am for the marathon of Toulouse.
ps:désolé pour l'anglais !!!

James said...

Thanks Gérald for the encouragement and the English. I did say that your 95k schedule seemed a lot at one pace. My brother is telling me that I need to up my interval lengths and effort. I think you need to combine fast workouts with long runs and not tire yourself out at the same time. Not an easy combination !