24 August 2010

2 x 3km

I woke up early this morning feeling better in my legs and ready to do this session at marathon pace as scheduled in the training programme. Mentally, I find it far easier to envisage these longer workouts than many, high-intensity short sprints that are programmed for the end of the week.

Summer is almost over and it's dark again at 6:15 outside. Down the usual route to the river and then I begin the first interval. With the Garmin, I can't keep track of my pace as I'm running the interval so I just concentrate on pushing the pace at what I believe is about 15km/h or slightly faster than marathon pace.

By the time I finish the first interval, I am already sweating buckets and the 400m recovery seems to be over in 30 seconds. Off again and I run another 3km starting more slowly, but building speed and finishing strongly.

It's only when I get back home and have a cup of tea over breakfast with Laurence that I look at the results: 10.3 km all up in 46:30 (4:30 per km average). First interval in 12:13 (4:04 pace) and second interval in 11:56 (3:59 pace). Pretty pleased with the results.

2 comments:

Nicolas said...

Don't forget to work your speed, I'm afraid that you won't be able to catch a good 10k pace in Conflans. With your marathon pace, I might finish one lap ahead of you

James said...

Don't worry - this was my endurance session today at marathon pace. Thursday's the day for the speed session. And don't count your chickens before they've hatched...