12 August 2010

Intervals

I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to this session. This is the big advantage of following a marathon training plan is that you feel obliged to do sessions that you would never normally choose to do. Today was 2 blocks of 12x200m off 100m rest and 400m between blocks.

I am not a sprinter. As a child, I wanted to be a good runner and I thought that 200m would be my ideal distance. I've grown up since then. The thought of doing 24 of these this morning was painful. Just as painful was putting on my trainers and feeling my left toes curl up in disgust. Love the trainers - just too small so I'm going to buy another pair and wear them both alternately.

Left the house and did a quick warm-up of 1km before starting the session. I wasn't running flat out but the reps were tiring. I didn't feel that I had the energy to push them any faster, but at the same time I knew I was keeping something back in reserve. I finished the first block and then had to re-start the Garmin to do the second, not yet having mastered the advanced workout options on the watch.

Result of the session: ran each 200m in an average of 42 seconds. Fastest was 39 seconds and slowest 44. I'll need to bring these times down to an average of 36 - 37 seconds if I'm to keep up with Nico. There's a lot of work to be done yet.

At least it's over now and I'll run a recovery run tonight at the club. I'll be repeating this session next week too as I'm doubling up the first week's training schedule.

More 200m's next Thursday - arrgghh.

No comments: