13 August 2010

Easy club session

I managed to sneak out of work while nobody was looking yesterday (in fact they're all on holiday) to get to the evening club session. There were some faces I hadn't seen in a while: Adrien, Christelle, Madeleine as well as the usuals: Nico, Nick B, Ephrem, Alex and Nabil who turned up a little late.

Michel was taking the session and he announced fartlek. This was a fartlek Michel style: after a 20 minute warm-up we found a loop which we were supposed to run very easily to begin with and then gradually build up speed until we were at threshold. There was a small discussion in the group as to what fartlek really involved so I've looked it up here: Fartlek. Since I'd already run that morning and wasn't looking to tire myself out, I ran easily with Nico and Nick B talking about current training schedules and the next races on the calendar.

It was very relaxing to run this easily in the forest and I thoroughly enjoyed the recovery run. When we got back to the track we saw Gérald and a friend of his after their training session on the track. The friend, Cédric, is a good runner with a 2:36 marathon time. We got to talking about VMA times and I mentioned McMillan, which is definitely my bible for race prediction times. For my 10k PB, it predicts a half-marathon in 1:22:13, a 2k in 6:30 and a 1000m in 3:01, pretty much spot on with my other PBs. What is slightly more disconcerting is that it predicts a 2:53 marathon time and 200m interval session to be run at 35 - 37 seconds. I definitely need to improve my interval sessions and get closer to Nico's times.

Oh yeah, total session was 9k in 55 minutes - told you it was easy !

2 comments:

Nicolas said...

I agree with most of the McMillan prediction times. With 37'22" achieved as my 10k PB it predicts 17'59" for the 5k (achieved 18'01") and 57'54" for the 15k (achieved 57'54"!!!). However I'm far enough with the half marathon (predicted : 1h23'09", achieved 1h24'02") and the marathon (predicted : 2h55'22", achieved 3h14'21"!!!).
Ok for the sprint workouts but I'm faster on the speed workouts. Looks like I'm more a sprinter than a long distance runner...
...for now!
May be you'd better challenge me on a 100k race :o)

James said...

I might take you up on that challenge: Millau 2011 ? You know it's got to be done one day !